We can go to camp, we can be counselors. So its the made-to-order. With extensive experience in the food service industry, Paul comes to Tropical Smoothie Cafe from Popeyes, where he served as the Chief Accounting Officer and spent nearly two decades working in the brands financial and accounting departments. Tropical Smoothie Cafe CEO Charles Watson has been with the company for more than 10 years and is passionate about supporting the franchise systems sustainable growth, the success of its franchisees, and the execution of the brands Inspire Better mission. Charles Watson is Chief Executive Officer at Tropical Smoothie Cafe Corp. See Charles Watson's compensation, career history, education, & memberships. Whats the best piece of advice that other restaurant executives should hear? CHARLES WATSON: Sure, absolutely. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply. So thats what we call Inspiring Better. We really call Tropical Smoothie Cafe a street corner business. Charles Watson serves as CEO for Tropical Smoothie Cafe. We have three tenets in how we serve our Franchise Owners. *$1,009,803 System Wide Average Net Revenues. SUCH REGISTRATION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE APPROVAL, RECOMMENDATION OR ENDORSEMENT BY THE COMMISSIONER OF CORPORATIONS NOR A FINDING BY THE COMMISSIONER THAT THE INFORMATION PROVIDED HEREIN IS TRUE, COMPLETE AND NOT MISLEADING. Tell us a little about your background before joining Tropical Smoothie? Prior to joining Tropical Smoothie Cafe, Richard was the Vice President of Operations, West Division, for Papa Murphys International where he was responsible for field operations and marketing. New York State Disclaimer: This advertisement is not an offering. Watson: "I think when taking over any brand where you worked alongside your predecessor, there's a certain level of pressure to continue carrying the torch, but also to make necessary changes to the brand to evolve with the changing economy and consumer trends. I think all natural, whole fruit, and the ability to substitute while also having some really great baseline recipes that we have out there. 770-821-1928, and a Tropical Smoothie Cafe franchise development leader will reach out to you with more information. The company's goal is to . Atlanta, GA ( RestaurantNews.com ) Tropical Smoothie Cafe, a leading national fast-casual cafe franchise known for both its better-for-you smoothies and food with a tropical twist, continues its . Tell us a bit about Camp Sunshine, about the partnership there, what you want people to know about it, and ways people can help support it. If your Franchised Business includes a drive-thru, the additional expense (including the cost of leasehold improvements, restaurant fixtures and equipment, and other costs) would be approximately $35,000 to $45,000. He is survived by his children Kayla (Jason), Kelsey (Billy), John (Stephanie), Kincaid (Cecilia), his siblings Orville Dallier (Angela), Sue Dorey (Tom), Donna Watson: As you know, the restaurant industry has taken a huge hit. So I actually see myself very much like our consumer who wants to make better choices, but you know what? Richard has served in a franchise operations capacity for more than 20 years with brands such as TCBY, Carvel, and Moes Southwest Grill. Atlanta, GA. Not the Charles Watson you were looking for? What sets your smoothies apart from smoothies from competitors? We find that real fruits, veggies, and juices just taste better.". Charles Watson, the CEO of Tropical Smoothie Care, was thrilled with his companys performance so far this year, which is what youd expect from a chain whose. I was 11 years old when I got my first job washing dishes at my fathers restaurant. "Relationships Rule" is one of our core values, and because of that, people are at the heart of our company. In this role, Mark leads brand, marketing, product, and digital innovations core functions of delivering the remarkable guest experience that drives Tropical Smoothie Cafes success. Paul Marsden oversees development and execution of financial strategies to support the companys business plans. So our franchisees, if theyre staying on top of their Tropical Smoothie Cafe, theyve got to own that three to five mile radius around there. We set company-wide strategic imperatives around these issues immediately.". "I'm a huge advocate for franchise advisory councils, specifically when nearly 60% of all franchise agreements at Tropical Smoothie Cafe come from existing franchisees. Charles recently joined his team in celebrating the opening of the 1,000th Tropical Smoothie Cafe location. By Jonathan Maze on Jan. 24, 2019. He's no stranger to franchise development, nor is Charles Watson an outsider, having served four years as the company's Chief Development Officer in addition to his prior role as VP of Franchise Development. Prior to that, she spent 22 years at BBDO Worldwide, where she was executive vice president and senior director for the global advertising powerhouse, leading campaign strategy and execution for many large national brands. Such filing does not constitute approval by the Department of Law. The offering is by prospectus only. "Our franchisees are the heart of our brand, so we wanted to make sure we were doing everything we could to help them stay afloat through the crisis. Every day is a day to celebrate at Tropical Smoothie Cafe, with all the success were having. The initial investment ranges from $246,500 to $580,500. A veteran hospitality professional, Charles has worked for several hospitality-related companies, including Wyndham Hotels & Resorts, Intercontinental Hotels Group, US Franchise Systems, Inc., and Hospitality Real Estate Counselors. Charles is directly responsible for selling more than 800 franchises during his tenure. Total investment for a new cafe opening ranges between $246,500 and $580,500. Glad Tidings: Are Seasonal Franchises A Good Investment? I may have been the smallest employee there (I had to stand on a tub used for busing tables just to reach the sink) but I had the biggest ambition. Total revenues were $58 million while expenses were only $41 million, indicating a healthy profit margin of around 30%. How do you feel about franchise advisory councils? We add some spice to it. In a franchise system, without broad franchisee buy-in, you cannot move as efficiently and effectively as is required in today's business environment.". With the fast-casual spot gaining more recognition every year, there's a good chance that you won't be seeing your favorite Tropical Smoothie Cafe going anywhere anytime soon . It is for information purposes only. Beyond just smoothies, we serve better-for-you wraps, sandwiches, and flatbreads, and pride ourselves on living at the "intersection of taste, convenience, and hospitality." He's no stranger to franchise development, nor is Charles Watson an outsider, having served four years as the company's Chief Development Officer in addition to his prior role as VP of Franchise Development. Building off this momentum, in 2019, we celebrated the openings of our 750th and 800th locations, but taking over during such a monumental time for our brand certainly brought opportunities to improve. Find contact details for 700 million professionals. 908-236-0277. Related Posts. We had a high level of mutual trust and respect for each other that existed before I assumed the role of CEO. Its only here until August. The offering is by prospectus only. So we dont have any specific development goals associated, i.e. The range is based on estimated costs for End-Cap or In-Line Tropical Smoothie Cafe Restaurants, which include those located in or at strip style retail shopping centers but does not include drive-thrus. SUCH REGISTRATION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE APPROVAL, RECOMMENDATION OR ENDORSEMENT BY THE COMMISSIONER OF CORPORATIONS NOR A FINDING BY THE COMMISSIONER THAT THE INFORMATION PROVIDED HEREIN IS TRUE, COMPLETE AND NOT MISLEADING. Some of our franchisees had the idea to donate smoothies to first responders and hospital workers in Atlanta. He is a general assignment reporter and has covered a range . Were implementing a new point-of-sale system that acts as a hub and enables all third-party delivery, white label delivery, online ordering, etc. Charles is a graduate of The Hotel School at Cornell University and also holds a Masters of Business Administration from The Terry School of Business at The University of Georgia. Prior to joining Tropical Smoothie Cafe, Pete served as the Deputy General Counsel and Chief Compliance/Risk Officer at Popeyes for over 10 years and has extensive experience handling corporate transactions, both in-house and in private practice. And so thats one of my favorites. Did you foresee the level of growth the chain has experienced of late? This information is not intended as an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy a franchise. I love that. Because of our amazing guests, our franchisees, and the communities they serve, including those on the front lines of this pandemic, we will get through this. Occhiogrosso: How do you see the company moving forward? Theres an obvious answer for me here, and thats to put your heart into what you do. final four 2022 euroleague tickets. Such filing does not constitute approval by the Department of Law. So I was compelled to ask Mr. Watson his thoughts on the pandemic and the company's response. Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own. Well, we just talked about Camp Sunshine and we have a smoothie called the Sunshine Smoothie that is orange and mango based. So in cities where you see a lot of brand-awareness and a lot of units, we will have moved into the core center-city demographics, but we typically work outside in. Watson:"I wanted to further instill a franchisee-first mentality. While our projected 2020 growth might take a step back due to the coronavirus, I believe our approach to navigating through this will help us emerge quickly once it passes. Our annual tactics are focused around delivering those results.". Charles Watson serves as CEO for Tropical Smoothie Cafe. Camp Sunshine is a camp for kids and their families that have life-threatening illnesses. Please give our readers the "Elevator Pitch" for Tropical Smoothie Cafe? Tropical Smoothie Cafe has deals in place for hundreds more locations in the pipeline and is on track to meet Charles aggressive goal to hit 1,500 locations by the end of 2024. So just one shy of 100. Watson: "Tropical Smoothie Cafe is a national fast-casual cafe concept inspiring healthier lifestyles with more than 850 locations in 44 states. Based on our fiscal year ending 12/26/2021 and includes 768 Restaurants that were open for at least 12 months as of 12/26/2021. Excludes non-traditional locations and Restaurants that were not open for at least 357 days in 2021. If you are a resident of or want to locate a franchise in one of these states, we will not offer you a franchise unless and until we have complied with applicable pre-sale registration and disclosure requirements in your state. The success of our brand is about the talent and drive of our talented executives and Support Center team. Occhiogrosso: How is taking the reins of an existing company different than being part of a startup or a founder? Atlanta, GA 30338 Tropical Smoothie Cafe has deals in place for hundreds more locations in the pipeline and is on track to meet Charles' aggressive goal to hit 1,500 locations by the end of 2024. Tropical Smoothie Caf works to keep its momentum. I dont believe that the people side of our business is dead.. Charles Watson was named CEO in December 2018. Weve implemented various franchisee support initiatives, including decreased royalties by 50%, ongoing support with PPP loans and real estate deferrals and abatements, rolling out curbside delivery systemwide, deployed hyper-local marketing strategies to drive business within a 12-mile radius of cafes, among many others. There are currently 913 franchised locations and 1 company-owned restaurant. Complete the form or call 770-821-1928, and a Tropical Smoothie Cafe franchise development leader will reach out to you with more information. We gathered that feedback and used it to set goals and action plans for the company. And that really got us down this road of: What is our purpose? I think the biggest shift will take place for those restaurants that can't be open right now. Those franchisees are serving our guests on the front lines I can't run this business without their candid feedback.". John Joseph Dallier, 61, passed away suddenly at home after severe health complications. Vice President Franchise Development. This information appears in Item 19 of our Franchise Disclosure Document. Although COVID-19 has directly impacted our business, some days being down more than 50 percent, we consider ourselves lucky to have a business model that allowed us to easily transition to grab-and-go, curbside, and delivery only. I would say that understanding the viewpoints and drivers of the different stakeholders I was serving was important. The best smoothie in terms of sales actually going on right now is our Mango Berry Cosmo. So whats your own personal favorite smoothie? And the other misconception, whether you think its uber healthy or not so healthy, is that you, the consumer, the guest have all the choice in the world. From wraps to flatbreads to salads, Mr. Watson continues to solidly position Tropical Smoothie Cafe as a leader in the fast-casual, healthier lifestyle food category. Mark Montini joined Tropical Smoothie Cafe as Chief Marketing Officer in October 2019. Charles Watson:"Prior to joining Tropical Smoothie Cafe, I worked for several hotel and hospitality-centric companies, including Wyndham Hotels & Resorts, Intercontinental Hotels Group, US Franchise Systems, Inc. and Hospitality Real Estate Counselors. See where were looking to grow to meet the incredible demand. Thats our limited-time offer. Were any of the franchisees reluctant to follow the system or embrace a new direction? Were now seeing a big acceleration in the business in 2021, much of that is attributable to our franchisees, really working hard to stand up digital channels. 770-580-2333 So its got a little bit of indulgence to it. 770-580-2333 I think the biggest shift will take place for those restaurants that can't be open right now. A shift leaders hourly wage is an average of $11. Tropical Smoothie Cafe, LLC, 1117 Perimeter Center West, Suite W200, Atlanta, GA 30338. Looking ahead to twelve months or two years down the road, Watson had this to say: Tropical Smoothie Cafe is in an incredible growth phase. The companys goal is to open 1,500 cafes or more by the year 2024. While we had always involved franchisees, I felt it needed to be formalized and more visible to our franchise system. This process only helps our individual franchisees and their bottom line, respectively.". Nobody knew what was going to happen. Chief Development Officer since 2016, after serving as VP of Franchise Development since 2010. During the current COVID-19 crisis, what steps have you taken to ensure that Tropical Smoothie Cafe supports the local community? NET WORTH * LIQUID CAPITAL/CASH . In todays restaurant industry, consumers are always looking for the next trendy item or the next emerging concept. A minimum net worth of $350,000, which includes $125,000 in liquid assets; Investment and Fee Structure: Start-up fees: A new Cafe investment is between $198,500 and $543,500. I joined Tropical Smoothie Cafe in 2010 as the Vice President of Franchise Development and, in 2016, became the Chief Development Officer, where I was responsible for all aspects of the development of the brand. It's tropic time. The company planned 130 in just 2020; signed 36 of a hopeful 200 franchise agreements by March; and was well on its way to adding five units to its annual . Atlanta, GA 30338 *$1,009,803 System Wide Average Net Revenues. When I became CEO, I launched a formal franchisee advisory council, known in our organization as the Tropical Franchisee Council (TFC). Then we determined two focus areas, giving back to the community and prioritizing support for our franchisees. Gary Occhiogrosso: Tell us a little about your background before joining Tropical Smoothie? 5 Questions with Tropical Smoothie CEO Charles Watson. Charles Watson has been the CEO since . I think they can be used throughout the day and utilized in guests diets. Richard has served in a franchise operations capacity for more than 20 years with brands such as TCBY, Carvel, and Moes Southwest Grill. As you know, the restaurant industry has taken a huge hit. A Tropical Smoothie Caf is a better-for-you, fast-casual restaurant business offering freshly prepared food and smoothies served in a fun, friendly environment. Yes, we have some great products on our menu that weve crafted, but you can go off script. The range is based on estimated costs for End-Cap or In-Line Tropical Smoothie Cafe Restaurants, which include those located in or at strip style retail shopping centers but does not include drive-thrus. Start Now! It is, however, a "darn good chaser," he said and . So since I like it, and since we love Camp Sunshine, we may see that this fall. We're a healthier, quick . Our consumers really like our food. And so were going to really get to focus there. Unresolved: Release in which this issue/RFE will be addressed. We consider ourselves to be an approachable, healthier option for the average American, and our customer loyalty system-wide continues to climb. 13, 2021, 08:36 AM. ATLANTA, Nov. 10, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Tropical Smoothie Cafe, the fast-growing national franchise brand known for its better-for-you smoothies and food with a tropical . You know, this is terrible, but Ive never gone through a pandemic before obviously, and I would have to say Im pretty pleased I think we did a very nice job during 2020, we opened 99 new restaurants. Prior to Tropical Smoothie Cafe, Mark served as Chief Marketing Officer with Floor Coverings International where he was responsible for driving the brands digital transformation and leadership position in service-based franchising. . It is for information purposes only. Tropical Smoothie Cafe's primary competitors include Del Taco, Jack in the Box, El Pollo Loco and 19 more. Cheryl Fletcher, Chief Development Officer of Tropical Smoothie Cafe, shares highlights of her career and leadership style in Franchising. Areas we wanted to attack immediately with our rapid growth were direct franchisee support as well as technology support and menu innovation. We like to call it chopping wood, meaning you dont decide when quitting time is; you simply get the work done. We want to be an escape for our consumers in this hectic world we live, and an incredible business model for our franchise partners It's an exciting time to be a fast-casual concept within this segment, specifically as the market size of the juice and smoothie bars industry is expected to increase by 2.3% in 2020, reaching nearly $3 billion in revenue across the globe. Well, Tropical Smoothie Cafe, we've got 850 locations in 44 states. It hopes to keep all its new customers. Mr. Watson was appointed the CEO position of Tropical Smoothie Cafe in December 2018. Day-to-day I would say my favorite is the Avocolada Smoothie. Michael brings 20 years of foundational IT skills and core functions of digital knowledge critical to shaping our journey to reach guests via innovative technologies. Its a fantastic organization that weve enjoyed immensely being part of. Early in his career, Mark served the franchise industry as a supplier, delivering innovative technology-enabled marketing strategies to help emerging franchise concepts rapidly scale and grow revenue through local-level marketing and sales. Youre asking me to pick which kid I like the best. We figured a good person to ask might be the CEO of Tropical Smoothie Cafe, Charles Watson. This information appears in Item 19 of our Franchise Disclosure Document. Prior to joining Tropical Smoothie Cafe, Richard was the Vice President of Operations, West Division, for Papa Murphys International where he was responsible for field operations and marketing. Prior to being named CEO in 2018, Charles served as the chief development officer for Tropical Smoothie Cafe. His goal is to achieve $1 billion in sales and 1,500+ cafes by 2023. . While our projected 2020 growth might take a step back due to the coronavirus, I believe our approach to navigating through this will help us emerge quickly once it passes.". Thats a smoothie that has pineapple, strawberries, and white chocolate and coconut. My predecessor did a great job, so most of the hesitancy candidly was, "will this guy be as good, will we have the same amount of success?" Prior to joining Tropical Smoothie Cafe, I worked for several hotel and hospitality-centric companies, including Wyndham Hotels & Resorts, Intercontinental Hotels Group, US Franchise Systems, Inc. and Hospitality Real Estate Counselors. Then I was our chief development officer and Ive been our CEO for about three years now. Were right, exactly where It was a little bit of a step back in 2020, but in 2021, our year-to-date comparative sales are [up] almost 30%. A veteran hospitality professional . "We were in a good place! In a highly competitive segment, we're one of the fastest-growing quick-casual brands, opening 124 new locations in 2019 alone and singing 213 development agreements to open hundreds of businesses over the next few years.". Here are some highlights of their conversation about his franchise business. The smoothie-and-food chain has been a strong grower for years and turned on the jets so far in 2021. Were any of the franchisees reluctant to follow the system or embrace a new direction? The range is based on estimated costs for End-Cap or In-Line Tropical Smoothie Cafe Restaurants, which include those located in or at strip style retail shopping centers but does not include drive-thrus. Call now and speak to a franchise development leader. Prior to being named CEO in 2018, Charles served as the chief development officer for Tropical Smoothie Cafe. . Your results may differ. Since that time, he has led the company on its quest towards $1billion in sales by 2023. While our projected 2020 growth might take a step back due to the coronavirus, I believe our approach to navigating through this will help us emerge quickly once it passes.". So that was helpful! CALIFORNIA DISCLAIMER: THESE FRANCHISES HAVE BEEN REGISTERED UNDER THE FRANCHISE INVESTMENT LAW OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA. Share Tweet Share Pin. Oh gosh. As a 35 year veteran of the restaurant and franchise industry, I have always been fascinated by the challenges, risks, rewards, and day to day "work" a CEO faces when first taking the helm of an ongoing franchise organization. As a restaurant executive, hospitality should be in your blood. He is directly responsible for selling more than 800 franchises. In this role, Mark leads brand, marketing, product, and digital innovations core functions of delivering the remarkable guest experience that drives Tropical Smoothie Cafes success. "Tropical Smoothie Cafe is a national fast-casual cafe concept inspiring healthier lifestyles with more than 850 locations in 44 states. Michael Lapid joined Tropical Smoothie Cafe in October of 2019 to the role of Chief Information and Digital Officer. And it has been a fantastic partnership because we can see the benefit of the dollars that were putting in. As CEO, Watsons goal is to achieve $1 billion in sales and more than 1,500 cafes by 2023. Its tough. Thatll come down over time, but were going to open 130 cafes on top of that. We gathered that feedback and used it to set goals and action plans for the company. Nov 10, 2021, 09:36 ET. He has been instrumental in developing the culture of Tropical Smoothie Cafe and earning the trust of our franchisees. And if you do that well, then your top-sellers, sometimes you beat them. Ivebeen with Tropical Smoothie since 2010 and was [first] our vice president of franchise development, he told Mashed. Are there misconceptions about smoothies you want cleared up? This information appears in Item 19 of our Franchise Disclosure Document. Michael brings 20 years of foundational IT skills and core functions of digital knowledge critical to shaping our journey to reach guests via innovative technologies. Occhiogrosso: What are some of the additional support initiatives you put in place for your franchise community during the pandemic? Charles is a graduate of The Hotel School at Cornell University and holds a Master of Business Administration from The Terry College of Business at The University of Georgia. As reopening guidelines are being determined, we plan to move forward with an abundance of caution. Tropical Smoothie Caf is a Georgia LLC organized on June 25, 2012. What are some of your interests outside of work? Currently, the following states regulate the offer and sale of franchises: California, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota (File No. It was not possible for me to get involved in every project so I had to learn to let go and delegate. 770-580-2333, NRN Editors Discuss Digital Engagement with CMO Deborah von Kutzleben, In Her Own Words: Tropical Smoothie Cafe franchisees gain Cheryl Fletchers support, Tropical Smoothie Cafe Opens First Double Drive-Thru Location. Watson will lead us through our next phase of strategic growth. I have a little bit sweeter palate. Your results may differ. Tropical Smoothie Cafe is rounding out yet another year of impressive growth. CEO Charles Watson, along with his leadership team, will be hosting an informative event at the franchised Tropical Smoothie Cafe in Dallas-Fort Worth, located at 760 Airport Freeway, Suite 400 . Its getting involved in the local community. Watson has been with Tropical Smoothie Cafe for many years now, so he has seen the growth up close. With extensive experience in the food service industry, Paul comes to Tropical Smoothie Cafe from Popeyes, where he served as the Chief Accounting Officer and spent nearly two decades working in the brands financial and accounting departments. For the fiscal year 2021, these End-Cap and In-Line Tropical Smoothie Cafe Restaurants typically ranged in size from 1,200 to 1,900 square feet. Michael brings 20 years of foundational IT skills and core functions of digital knowledge critical to shaping our journey to reach guests via innovative technologies. In short, franchisees needed to know that there was a formal mechanism of their peers that was constantly feeding back to us at the Support Center. Charles Watson, the CEO of Tropical Smoothie Care, was thrilled with his company's performance so far this year . In this role, Mark leads brand, marketing, product, and digital innovations core functions of delivering the remarkable guest experience that drives Tropical Smoothie Cafes success. Tropical Smoothie Cafe CEO Charles Watson has been with the company for more than 10 years and is passionate about . Sometimes youve just got to go with the taste. Mark Montini joined Tropical Smoothie Cafe as Chief Marketing Officer in October 2019. What is something you wish more people knew about the chain and its products? In that role, he was responsible for all aspects of franchise development, real estate, design and construction and franchise administration and helped grow the system from 265 open units to 725 open units. 2020, 2019, and 2018 average, median, highest, and lowest net revenues, number of stores, and number and percentage of stores that surpassed the average net revenues in the category for the top 10%, top 25%, . Our annual tactics are focused around delivering those results.". I may have a trick or two up my sleeve I do get to make some decisions occasionally around here. Although COVID-19 has directly impacted our business, some days being down more than 50 percent, we consider ourselves lucky to have a business model that allowed us to easily transition to grab-and-go, curbside, and delivery only. And what we were able to do is to take a smaller organization that was scrappy, just like Tropical Smoothie Cafe, and really build their endowment and really serve a lot of families. When asked about developing people skills with a generation used to communicating online, Its an opportunity for us as managers and Franchise Owners to teach the staff how to greet people, look them in the eye, and ask how may I serve you today? Its our job to teach the next generation. Tropical Smoothie Cafe has deals in place for hundreds more locations in the pipeline and is on track to meet Charles aggressive goal to hit 1,500 locations by the end of 2024. The Version table provides details related to the release that this issue/RFE will be addressed. Be sure that you have a minimum net worth of $350,000 and $125,000 in liquid assets.
Total Wine Retail Assistant Manager Salary, Can A Felon Carry A Knife In Arkansas, Terri Pearsons Net Worth, Gadsden County Jail Mugshots, Articles C