Near the city the Law was promulgated (Deuteronomy 27:11 Joshua 8:33). Then Balak the son of Zippor, king of Moab, arose and fought against Israel, and he sent and summoned Balaam the son of Beor to curse you. Genesis 33:18 Jacob came in peace to the city of Shechem, which is in the land of Canaan, when he came from Paddan Aram; and encamped before the city. He gave birth to twelve sons who became the fathers of the twelve tribes of Israel. Shechems geography paves the way for a discussion of its historical, and ultimately, its spiritual significance even still today. It was afterwards known as Mamre. S. of the town in the bottom of the valley is a tank, 130 ft. square by 50 deep. 13:22). (3.) Hebron. So Joshua made a covenant with the people that day, and made for them a statute and an ordinance in Shechem Then Joshua dismissed the people, each to his inheritance (vv. Mount Bethel was a hilly district near Bethel (Josh. The town was situated in a narrow valley - the "Valley of the Eschol; " whose sides are clothed with vineyards, groves of olives, and other fruit trees. Bethel in Joshua 19:4 answers to Chesil in Joshua 15:30. Jacob arrives at Shechem in c.1691BC (see Genesis 12:6-7) where he buys some land for a tomb from the sons of Hamor and sets up an altar called El Elohe Yisrael (Hebrew, meaning 'God, the God of Israel' or 'God, the God of Jacob'). Genesis 37:14 He said to him, "Go now, see whether it is well with your brothers, and well with the flock; and bring me word again." It became a Levitical city and a city of refuge (20:7; 21:11). Paddan Aram in Aramaic means the field of Aram, a name that distinguishes the flatland from the mountainous regions to the north and east. Here also Samuel held in rotation his court of justice (1 Sam. We have to take a personal ownership and responsibility with our relationship with God. 7. 1 Kings 12:1 Rehoboam went to Shechem: for all Israel were come to Shechem to make him king. And you lived in the wilderness for a long time. The Tabernacle of Ancient Israel - Brief Overview of the Tabernacle of Moses in the Wilderness and the Ark of the Covenant. 2. Abraham saw Moriah at some little distance (Genesis 22:4) on the third day; the distance, two days' journey from Beersheba, would just bring him to Zion, but not so far as Moreh and Gerizim (Genesis 12:6) where some fix Moriah. Beersheba. Near it was the oak or terebinth, a place of pagan worship. Eastward the valley opens upon the plain of Makhneh. And he bought the piece of land where he had pitched his tent, from the hand of the sons of Hamor, Shechem's father, for one hundred pieces of money. Genesis 37:17. So he packed all their belongings and journeyed again, reaching Shechem in Canaan first, then the hills of Bethel, and finally south to the Negev. In the troubled times when there was no king in Israel, it was to Bethel that the people went up in their distress to ask counsel of God. He desired to see his father Jacob and invited him to Egypt because of the great famine. They became the inheritance of the children of Joseph. 1 Kings 12:25 Then Jeroboam built Shechem in the hill country of Ephraim, and lived in it; and he went out from there, and built Penuel. This was "the land of Moriah" to which Abraham went to offer up his son Isaac (Gen. 22:2). Hiel of Bethel rebuilt Jericho under the curse (1 Kings 16:34).Bethel in Hitchcock's Bible Names the house of GodBethel in Naves Topical Bible 1. Moreover, Joshua called all Israel to Shechem at the end of the conquest, because Joshua and the same group came to Shechem at the beginning of the conquest to shout the blessings and curses. Then I brought you into the land of the Amorites who lived beyond the Jordan, and they fought with you; and I gave them into your hand, and you took possession of their land when I destroyed them before you. 1:26). In the cave of Machpelah all the patriarchs and their wives, except Rachel, were buried (49:30 f; 50:13). In the neighboring minaret is a stone whereon the Ten Commandments are engraved in Samaritan characters. Leicester: Inter-Varsity Press, 1995. Here Jacob (re-named Israel) built an altar and named it El-elohe-israel, meaning God, the God of Israel (Gen. 33:17-20). More details . 7:16). Beersheba. 14:15; 15:3). "Arba was a great man among the Anakims, father of Anak." 19:2; 1 Chr. 13. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1975-1976. Later he journeyed southward and dwelt at Hebron which was the location of the events around his son Joseph. He was finally buried in Hebron at the family tomb, the Cave of Machpelah. 3. In troublous times the people went to Bethel to ask counsel of God (Judg. At the oak of Moreh in the vicinity he reared his first altar to the Lord in Palestine (Genesis 12:6 f). So he sent him out of the valley of Hebron, and he came to Shechem. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1989. The miles based distance from Ur to Canaan is 3461.2 miles. Abraham From Haran to Canaan. The well of, belonged to Abraham and Isaac Ge 21:25,26 -3. All this combined made Samaria an ideal place for a capital. Jacob, in his 78th year, was sent from the family home to avoid his brother, and to seek a wife among his kindred in Padan-aram. 8:17; 12:16).Bethel in Fausset's Bible Dictionary ("house of God".) Third son of Kohath; younger brother of Amram, father of Moses and Aaron (Exodus 6:18). We've studied the first three verses of Genesis 12 (Read: Abraham - A Story of Relationship ). (2.) To the South of the vale is the traditional Well of Jacob; see JACOB'S WELL. Well known at Abram's entrance into Canaan, 3,780 years ago (Genesis 42:18). Here Absalom set up the standard of revolt. The role of Shechem in the Conquest narrative has been an enigma to generations of Bible scholars. It was originally the royal Canaanite city of Luz (Gen. 28:19). 14. Joshua 24:32 They buried the bones of Joseph, which the children of Israel brought up out of Egypt, in Shechem, in the parcel of ground which Jacob bought of the sons of Hamor the father of Shechem for a hundred pieces of money. A place in Central Israel, about 10 miles north of Jerusalem, at the head of the pass of Michmash and Ai. By Amos (5:5) it is classed with Bethel and Gilgal as one of the rival shrines to the pure worship of Yahweh, and in another place (8:14) he writes "They shall fall, and never rise up again," who sware, "As the way (i.e. Ed, Issue 46, Winter 2023. An unnamed stranger directs Joseph to Dothan, about 15 . The meeting was of a painful kind. Ge 22:2 Its position is doubtful, some thinking it to be Mount MOriah, others that Moreh, near Shechem, is meant. Jacobs two sons, Levi and Simeon, made a deceptive pact with the males of the city and slaughtered them all in revenge of Dinah. The second, at a hundred yards distance, 5 in diameter, 42 in depth. While Jacob was in Haran he married Leah and Rachel and the Lord was with him and blessed him with great riches (Gen. 29:1-30: 43). 24:2), became the usual way of designating the whole Promised Land, and passed into a proverb. 10. Genesis 33:18 Jacob came in peace to the city of Shechem, which is in the land of Canaan, when he came from Paddan Aram; and encamped before the city.. Genesis 35:4 They gave to Jacob all the foreign gods which were in their hands, and the rings which were in their ears . 27:4). But the Torah continues by telling us that Joseph's "brothers went - to pasture their father's flock in Shechem" (Genesis 37:12), which was why "[Jacob] sent [Joseph] from the valley . The well dug by Abraham and secured to him by oath had been covered and lost. Jacob died there 17 years later, and Joseph carried Jacob's remains to the land of Canaan, where he gave them stately burial in the same Cave of Machpelah as were buried Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Rebecca and Jacob's wife Leah (Genesis 49:29- 50:14 ) Genesis 26:18 - And Isaac digged again the wells of water, which they had digged in the days of Abraham his father; for the Philistines had stopped them after the death of Abraham: and he called their names after the names by which his father had called them.Leviticus 26:42 - Then will I remember my covenant with Jacob, and also my covenant with Isaac, and also my covenant with Abraham will I remember; and I will remember the land.Deuteronomy 30:20 - That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, [and] that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he [is] thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.Genesis 25:21 - And Isaac intreated the LORD for his wife, because she [was] barren: and the LORD was intreated of him, and Rebekah his wife conceived.Genesis 35:12 - And the land which I gave Abraham and Isaac, to thee I will give it, and to thy seed after thee will I give the land.Genesis 27:46 - And Rebekah said to Isaac, I am weary of my life because of the daughters of Heth: if Jacob take a wife of the daughters of Heth, such as these [which are] of the daughters of the land, what good shall my life do me?Genesis 24:14 - And let it come to pass, that the damsel to whom I shall say, Let down thy pitcher, I pray thee, that I may drink; and she shall say, Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also: [let the same be] she [that] thou hast appointed for thy servant Isaac; and thereby shall I know that thou hast shewed kindness unto my master.Joshua 24:4 - And I gave unto Isaac Jacob and Esau: and I gave unto Esau mount Seir, to possess it; but Jacob and his children went down into Egypt.Genesis 49:31 - There they buried Abraham and Sarah his wife; there they buried Isaac and Rebekah his wife; and there I buried Leah.Genesis 22:9 - And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood.2 Chronicles 30:6 - So the posts went with the letters from the king and his princes throughout all Israel and Judah, and according to the commandment of the king, saying, Ye children of Israel, turn again unto the LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, and he will return to the remnant of you, that are escaped out of the hand of the kings of Assyria.Deuteronomy 29:13 - That he may establish thee to day for a people unto himself, and [that] he may be unto thee a God, as he hath said unto thee, and as he hath sworn unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.Jeremiah 33:26 - Then will I cast away the seed of Jacob, and David my servant, [so] that I will not take [any] of his seed [to be] rulers over the seed of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob: for I will cause their captivity to return, and have mercy on them.Deuteronomy 9:5 - Not for thy righteousness, or for the uprightness of thine heart, dost thou go to possess their land: but for the wickedness of these nations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee, and that he may perform the word which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.Genesis 27:22 - And Jacob went near unto Isaac his father; and he felt him, and said, The voice [is] Jacob's voice, but the hands [are] the hands of Esau.Exodus 33:1 - And the LORD said unto Moses, Depart, [and] go up hence, thou and the people which thou hast brought up out of the land of Egypt, unto the land which I sware unto Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, saying, Unto thy seed will I give it:Amos 7:16 - Now therefore hear thou the word of the LORD: Thou sayest, Prophesy not against Israel, and drop not [thy word] against the house of Isaac.Genesis 28:6 - When Esau saw that Isaac had blessed Jacob, and sent him away to Padanaram, to take him a wife from thence; and that as he blessed him he gave him a charge, saying, Thou shalt not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan;Exodus 32:13 - Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, thy servants, to whom thou swarest by thine own self, and saidst unto them, I will multiply your seed as the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have spoken of will I give unto your seed, and they shall inherit [it] for ever.Deuteronomy 6:10 - And it shall be, when the LORD thy God shall have brought thee into the land which he sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give thee great and goodly cities, which thou buildedst not,1 Kings 18:36 - And it came to pass at [the time of] the offering of the [evening] sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near, and said, LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that thou [art] God in Israel, and [that] I [am] thy servant, and [that] I have done all these things at thy word.Genesis 22:3 - And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him.Genesis 28:13 - And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I [am] the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed;Romans 9:7 - Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, [are they] all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.Genesis 17:19 - And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, [and] with his seed after him.Genesis 22:2 - And he said, Take now thy son, thine only [son] Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.Genesis 25:20 - And Isaac was forty years old when he took Rebekah to wife, the daughter of Bethuel the Syrian of Padanaram, the sister to Laban the Syrian.Genesis 32:9 - And Jacob said, O God of my father Abraham, and God of my father Isaac, the LORD which saidst unto me, Return unto thy country, and to thy kindred, and I will deal well with thee:Deuteronomy 1:8 - Behold, I have set the land before you: go in and possess the land which the LORD sware unto your fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give unto them and to their seed after them.1 Chronicles 29:18 - O LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, our fathers, keep this for ever in the imagination of the thoughts of the heart of thy people, and prepare their heart unto thee: Beersheba in Easton's Bible Dictionary well of the oath, or well of seven, a well dug by Abraham, and so named because he and Abimelech here entered into a compact (Gen. 21:31). God revealed to Jacob His plan of redemption through offering His only son as a substitute for the sins of the whole world. Joseph arrives in Shechem, a distance of about 50 miles from Hebron, but his brothers are nowhere to be found. Bethel is the name given by anticipation to the place; appropriately so, as Abram virtually made it the "house of God." The first European who was permitted to enter this mosque was the Prince of Wales in 1862. Jacob revisited the place on his return from Paddan-aram; here Deborah, Rebekah's nurse, died and was buried under "the oak" (Gen 35:6 f). Laban was angry when he heard that Jacob had set out on his journey, and pursued after him, overtaking him in seven days. Rachel took with her her father Laban's household gods. to his uncle Laban's home where he married and gave birth to many children. Son of Kohath Ex 6:18; Nu 3:19; 1Ch 6:2,18; 23:12,19Hebron in Smiths Bible Dictionary (alliance). That is a pretty humble beginning. God confirmed the covenant he had first made with Abraham in Harran, regarding the possession of the land of Canaan. 20:7; 21:21; 1 Chr. This curse proved true, for the citizens of Shechem formed a conspiracy against Abimelech, and he completely destroyed the city. and they became the inheritance of Josephs sons (Josh. The larger of the two, which lies to the east, is, according to Dr. Robinson, 12 1/2 feet in diameter, and at the time of his visit (April 12) was 44 1/2 feet to the surface of the water. 3. Hither he had come after his meeting with Esau (Genesis 33:18). Under the Romans it became Flavia Neapolis. Ramban (R. Moses Nahmanides, 1194-1270) takes a similar approach, but avoids ibn Ezra's geographical error: 8:30-35). 1 Chr. This well is still there today. And from the sons of Hamor, Shechem's father, he bought for a hundred pieces of . Sabbath. Evidently the threshing floor on Moriah was near the real Mount Zion, the city of David (on the eastern not the western half of Jerusalem).Mount Moriah in Hitchcock's Bible Names bitterness of the LordMount Moriah in Smiths Bible Dictionary (chosen by Jehovah). To the East of the city Jacob pitched his tent in a "parcel of ground" which he had bought from Hamor, Shechem's father (Genesis 33:19). It was the first place where the tabernacle became a permanent structure. When All Seems Lost/Broken Relationships. He was born with Esau, probably at the well of Lahai-roi, about B.C. Islam sees Jacob (Ya'qub) as a Prophet of Islam and Muslims believe that he preached the same monotheistic faith as his forefathers Abraham, Isaac and Ishmael. Jacob, now called Israel, sends Joseph to meet his brothers. We still need to come to a place where Jesus is our God, not just the God of our parents. There the prophet from Judah foretold the overthrow of the calf altar by Josiah. Other seven years of service had to be completed probably before he obtained the beloved Rachel. Joshua called the nation to Shechem because significant things occurred there before. The vicinity was long the favorite camping-ground of the patriarchs. ; the King James Version gives "Sichem" in Genesis 12:6; and "Sychem" in Acts 7:16):1. He then set up another stone in Shechem, saying: Behold, this stone shall be for a witness against us, for it has heard all the words of the LORD which He spoke to us; thus it shall be for a witness against you, lest you deny your God (Josh. The name Bethel was at first apparently given to the sanctuary in the neighbourhood of Luz, and was not given to the city itself till after its conquest by the tribe of Ephraim. And here God promised him the land was to be his. 2. But there are a number of independent indications that Jacob belongs to that large class of names consisting of a verb with some Divine name or title (in this case 'El) as the subject, from which the common abbreviated form is derived by omitting the subject. The existence of "bears," two, near the town, implies that Bethel was then less frequented (2 Kings 2:23- 25). However, modern highways may cut the walking distance i. The actual trip should have taken 11 days. 20 There he erected an altar and called it El-Elohe . Hiel the Bethelite is recorded as the rebuilder of Jericho. From Ur, across the Fertile Crescent and down into Canaan, the Bible mentions Shechem as the first city to which Abram came ( Gen. 12:6 ). More altars, besides the original one were erected. After Moses brought the nation of Israel out of Egypt, God commanded Israel to enter the Promised land and go to Shechem to pronounce the blessings and the curses of the Mosaic Covenant on the nation (Deut. Later a troubling situation came about, the slaughter of the Shechemites by Jacob's sons, and this forced Jacob to move southward (Gen. 34:1-30) 9. Jacob's children fulfilled their promise and carried the coffin all the way to Canaan. But Joshuas point is choose for yourselves; in fact, those are his very words. As discussed earlier, in addition to this crucial north-south road, another road also went northwest to the International Highway, and still another went east towards the Transjordanian Highway. The distance is straight path from one place to another place. (2.) Now Jacob came safely to the city of Shechem, which is in the land of Canaan, when he came from Paddan-aram and camped before the city. He cursed them with forty years of wilderness wandering until the unbelieving generation died off, never stepping foot in the Promised Land. The masonry which encloses the well extends downward 28 1/2 feet. Hebrew). In the first great revolt 1 Chronicles 12:38 - All these men of war, that could keep rank, came with a perfect heart to Hebron, to make David king over all Israel: and all the rest also of Israel [were] of one heart to make David king.2 Samuel 4:8 - And they brought the head of Ishbosheth unto David to Hebron, and said to the king, Behold the head of Ishbosheth the son of Saul thine enemy, which sought thy life; and the LORD hath avenged my lord the king this day of Saul, and of his seed.2 Samuel 3:19 - And Abner also spake in the ears of Benjamin: and Abner went also to speak in the ears of David in Hebron all that seemed good to Israel, and that seemed good to the whole house of Benjamin.1 Chronicles 29:27 - And the time that he reigned over Israel [was] forty years; seven years reigned he in Hebron, and thirty and three [years] reigned he in Jerusalem.2 Samuel 5:5 - In Hebron he reigned over Judah seven years and six months: and in Jerusalem he reigned thirty and three years over all Israel and Judah.1 Kings 2:11 - And the days that David reigned over Israel [were] forty years: seven years reigned he in Hebron, and thirty and three years reigned he in Jerusalem.Joshua 10:39 - And he took it, and the king thereof, and all the cities thereof; and they smote them with the edge of the sword, and utterly destroyed all the souls that [were] therein; he left none remaining: as he had done to Hebron, so he did to Debir, and to the king thereof; as he had done also to Libnah, and to her king.2 Samuel 3:20 - So Abner came to David to Hebron, and twenty men with him.
He Had Never Slept In A Better Bed, Rainsford Decided, Pizza Express Annual Report, Articles D